I’ve been here nearly two weeks and very much enjoying it so far. Here’s what I like about London:
- The work-life balance. People work hard during the work day but there are boundaries. Working late or on the weekends is anathema here.
- The cosmopolitan nature of the City. Besides Brits, I’ve hung
out wiith Aussies, a Canadian, an Irishman, a Hungarian and
Icelanders. And that was just in the past week!
- The food options. The chains here like Pret a Manger or Eat.
are *much* higher quality than the food in the States with lots of organic options. Ethnic
choices abound. I’m especially digging the Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Sundays. It seems to be a veritable rite to pass Sundays at a
pub. I did just that with my
friend Bryan last Sunday watching Man U beat Chelsea (at a pub in
Chelsea). I suspect this will become all the more frequent as the
weather gets colder.
- The mix of the old and the new. London has thrived by reinventing herself with the changing times — the skyline in the picture below says it all with St. Paul’s Cathedral flanked by cranes and modern office buildings in the financial heart of the City.